are aliens out there? - Page 9

View Poll Results: are aliens out there?

Voters
177. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

133 75.14%
  • no

11 6.21%
  • not sure

33 18.64%
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: are aliens out there?

There have been bacterias found on other planets, I believe. Secondly, I believe there are complex forms of life. I think they are like us though. They probably wonder if anyone is out there too. The universe is too vast for only one planet to hold life.

I think that if there are aliens out there. they are probably more like animals or fish or something on certain planets. who knows. maybe just 1 cell organisms

Anything's possible, man.

You'd have to be dumb not to believe. The universe is infinite, let me say that again INFINITE. There is life out there

The really question is: Are they intelligent?

LET'S GET WEIRD

good article about Stephen Hawking about his opinion on aliens. http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle7107207.ece

I myself definitely believe they exist. And just like Hawking said, not sure if it would be wise to try an contact them
    being chinese is my business and business be fkn crackin yo

The universe is too big; the rare earth theory is narcissistic.
    Boobies.

I would say yes but I dont want the aliens to end of like the alines in the "alien or "Aliens" movie series haha.

Originally Posted by Digital Trends
    Aliens exist, and we have proof.

That astonishingly awesome claim comes from Dr. Richard B. Hoover, an astrobiologist at NASA’s Marshall Space Flight Center, who says he has found conclusive evidence of alien life — fossils of bacteria found in an extremely rare class of meteorite called CI1 carbonaceous chondrites. (There are only nine such meteorites on planet Earth.) Hoover’s findings were published late Friday night in the Journal of Cosmology, a peer-reviewed scientific journal.

“I interpret it as indicating that life is more broadly distributed than restricted strictly to the planet earth,” Hoover, who has spent more than 10 years studying meteorites around the world, told FoxNews.com in an interview. “This field of study has just barely been touched — because quite frankly, a great many scientist would say that this is impossible.”

Hoover discovered the fossils by breaking apart the CI1 meteorite, and analyzing the exposed rock with a scanning-electron microscope and a field emission electron-scanning microscope, which allowed him to detect any fossil remains. What he found were fossils of micro-organisms, many of which he says are strikingly similar to those found on our own planet.

“The exciting thing is that they are in many cases recognizable and can be associated very closely with the generic species here on earth,” said Hoover. Some of the fossils, however, are quite odd. “There are some that are just very strange and don’t look like anything that I’ve been able to identify, and I’ve shown them to many other experts that have also come up stump.”

In order to satisfy the inevitable hoard of buzz-killing skeptics, Hoover’s study and evidence were made available to his peers in the scientific community in advance of the study’s publications, giving them a chance to thoroughly dissect his findings. Comments from those who decided to sift through the evidence will be published online, alongside the study.

“Given the controversial nature of his discovery, we have invited 100 experts and have issued a general invitation to over 5,000 scientists from the scientific community to review the paper and to offer their critical analysis,” writes Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics scientist Dr. Rudy Schild, who serves as the Journal of Cosmology’s editor-in-chief. “No other paper in the history of science has undergone such a thorough vetting, and never before in the history of science has the scientific community been given the opportunity to critically analyze an important research paper before it is published.”

Needless to say, if Hoover's conclusions are found to be accurate, the implications for human life will be staggering. Here's to hoping that he's right.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Beast View Post
    There is life out there

The really question is: Are they intelligent?
    This.

I would like to think that they are intelligent, and hopefully a lot nicer that most humans... with bigger skateparks...
    The Animals

Gravity Slave Moderator

The fossils in meteorites analysis isn't new. The debate over various fossil like shapes and whether or not it is proof of extraterrestrial life keeps going back and forth. It usually end up as inconclusive, possible just ice crystals that formed in dirt looking like other things or possibly bacteria, but inconclusive..

Fossils in Martian Meteorite:
    Real or Imagined?

In August, 1996, David McKay and his colleagues at the Johnson Space Center, Stanford University, and McGill University reported evidence for fossil life in a meteorite from Mars. Since then, scientists from around the world have been testing this idea, which in science generally means they are trying to prove the idea wrong. If an idea stands up to such scrutiny, it is on pretty solid ground. The latest round of testing comes from John Bradley (MVA, Inc. and Georgia Tech), Ralph Harvey (Case Western Reserve), and Harry Y. McSween (Univ. of Tennessee). They suggest in a short report in Nature that most of the tiny, tubular, segmented objects that resemble tiny fossils ("nanofossils") described by McKay and his associates are actually thin fractures parallel to atomic planes in minerals in the martian meteorite. The features have been modified, Bradley and coworkers say, by the way samples are prepared for study, producing the apparent segmentations. Dave McKay and his collaborators agree that some structures in the rock are mineral features, but say others are not, and that the sample preparation techniques they used do not produce pronounced segmentation. It appears that a nanofossil is in the eye of the beholder.

Here's a fun one - how about the ancient aliens theory?

I. Want. To. Believe. soooooo bad
    Boobies.

FuturePrimitive

Oh good grief, I have a friend who is so convinced that the ancient aliens idea is true, but he's not bright enough to even bother arguing with. Poor guy.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. –Aristotle

Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best. --Frank Zappa