The Official Freestyle Terminology
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Freestyle Terminology

Default The Official Freestyle Terminology

A lot of people have a hard time understanding which tricks are which in the world of freestyle/flatland skateboarding. Here are the basics:

1.) There is no such thing as a reemo slide, a rusty slide, or a "sproing" slide. These names were all made up by Tony Hawk's skateboarding games, and aren't really trick names.

2.) A "primo" is only a primo if you are moving. If you are rolling, then slip into the primo slide position and slide with your board sideways, it's a primo slide. There are two ways to do this trick: a.) Toe-Side. This is what you probably used to call a "reemo." Your wheels will be pointed in the same direction as your heels. b.) Heel-side. This is what you probably used to call a "primo." Your wheels will be pointed in the same direction as your toes.

This trick was invented by Primo Desiderio, thus comes it's name.

3.) A "primo" while not moving is simply called a railstand. As shown above, you can do railstands TS (toe side) or HS (heel side.)

4.) A casper MUST have no foot touching the ground. If your front foot is touching the ground, you're doing the trick wrong, and it's not a casper.

5.) A "truckstand" is actually called a no-handed 50-50. This trick was named before the grind. You have one foot on the truck, and the other usually below the grip, just like a casper on your trucks. A truckstand is accepted a lot more than saying "reemo" or "rusty slide" however.

6.) You'll oftentimes hear freestylers refer to manuals as "wheelies." That's because manuals used to be called wheelies. A manual was actually when someone ollied out of a quarter pipe, wheelied across the deck, and dropped back in. Now many freestylers only call it a manual if you ollie into it. Manual is still alright, though.

7.) A "coconut wheelie" is probably a trick you're not familiar with. It looks just like a primo slide, but only your wheels are touching the ground, not the deck itself.

8.) A classic flip is just an old-school kickflip.

9.) A casper done on the nose of your board is called a nose casper. An anti-casper is actually a half impossible to nose casper.

Those are some basics on freestyle trick names. These were written so you might understand what on earth people are talking about when they go raddle off names like the ones stated above. If you still want to call a wheelie a manual, or a 50-50 a truckstand, that's fine. Don't whine about liking new names better, this is just to help you understand trick names better. You can also post your own questions on trick names here. Hope that helps!!
    Stationary shove it while not even rolling club: Daniel Jones

this is awesome finally people will know the difference between primo and rail stand..

Actually, I heard that it's only called a manual if you ollie onto or down something to wheelie. Everything else flatland is called a wheelie.
    And an anti-casper is when you do any flip at all to nose casper, not just a half impossible.
    And I accept a casper if your foot is at least 80% on the board. I don't mind just a smidgen of the side of your foot hanging off as that was what I did for the longest time.

^A.) That's what I meant, my bad.
    B.) Really? I believe Tony Gale said it was just a half impossible. Oh well, I'll take your word for it.
    C.) No, I'm talking about your front foot being on the ground. As in the way those goofy kids like to show off.

I remember Callum saying that any flip to nose casper would make it an anti-casper. Like, I do half varial pressure flips to nose casper. Would that make it anti-casper? I like to think so.

Ah yes, I'm so used to thinking it without the foot on the ground that I misinterpreted what you said. Yes, no front foot on the ground. It's cheating. But if you have fun doing it, don't let what we say stop you.

^Yep yup. I guess you're right about the any flip to nose casper...I just didn't know about that. I do ollie varial half flips to nose casper, so I guess that's an anti-casper. Now, would that be called a half varial flip to anti-casper, or just an anti-casper?

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Jones
    Now, would that be called a half varial flip to anti-casper, or just an anti-casper?
    Good question.

i think it would be a half varial flip to anti-casper

Very nice Daniel, this will help out a LOT of people! Thanks for adding this here, I'll sticky this for you.
    I just have one correction for you:
    • 5.) A "truckstand" is actually called a no-handed 50-50.

That's the one mistake I found. A truckstand is actually a 50-50, a No handed 50-50 is when you don't use your hand at all to get into the 50-50, but rather you flip the board up with your feet instead of using your hand.
    Other than that, perfecto my friend, we shoudl add some more terms in here as time goes by!
    Keep it up guys!

R.I.P Jesushadherpes

^Fair enough...I don't ever really use my hands for getting into 50-50's, but I see your point. I think that almost all people consider a truckstand a no handed 50-50 don't they? I've never seen someone do a one handed one and call it a truckstand, but I see what you're saying.

Yeah, and people can come and ask questions about trick names here as well.

Hurray!! My first sticky!! (I think.)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom
    A truckstand is actually a 50-50
    But I thought the term 'truckstand' was made up by Tony Hawks Pro Skater and in the game, you do a nh 5050, so I don't know about just a 5050.

truckstand was probably made up by the Tony Hawk games, in order to distinguish the Freestyle 50-50 from the grind. Now as for the hand thing. A lot of people learn to get into 50-50's using their hands at first to elarn the balance, and it's since evolved into it's own trick. the No Handed 50-50 you guys are talkign about has since become exactly that. A no handed 50, so just for the sake of those beginning in freestyle, there's a clear distinguishment between 50-50's and no handed 50's. If I had a camera I could get clips of each,. but sadly mine doesn't work. Maybe Nathan or Sarge could get clips of them though >_>

R.I.P Jesushadherpes

the 50-50 stand was an trick invented by Steve Rocco I think in 1979. It involves flipping the board halfway and landing on the trick while catching the nose with the hand, then flipping it half way again back to a normal stance. (hince the 50/50 thing).

Rodney invented the nohanded version of the 50/50 stand in the early 80's...fairly close to the same time he invented caspers.

Truckstand is another name that THPS has used to ruin skateboarding vocabulary.

..and sarge is at college right now and has no camera
    Last edited by Sarge; 10-03-2005 at 09:18 PM.
    Small School Skateboards

http://www.smallschool.biz

[QUOTE=Daniel Jones

Hurray!! My first sticky!! (I think.)[/QUOTE]

this might sound stupid but, what the heck is a sticky?
    peace, love, and skateboarding

god bless

It's where your thread remains at the top of the sub-forum. Only a mod can sticky a thread.

Yeah, Tony W. has a point, the "truckstand" done in THPS games is a no handed 50-50...so that's why I called it that. Oh well!

The other freestyle forum is back up www.wfsafreestyle.org/forum

If anyone cares............

Yeah, but I'm still waiting for the new F-forum to be back up. And that forum was up for a while and I didn't even know!

a forum with bob in control......right
    Small School Skateboards

http://www.smallschool.biz

thanks daniel for telling me whats what

Dont Need To Be Blood To Be Family.

I'll add another one here, 'cause some questions have come up.

Monkey Flip- While riding, reaching down and grabbing the side of the board indy-style, jumping, and pulling up, flipping the board with your hand. You should then land on the board after the completed flip, and ride away.