A Guide to Filming Fisheye
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Guide to Filming Fisheye

Default A Guide to Filming Fisheye

This took forever, so use it and enjoy. ALL PICTURES IN THIS WERE TAKEN MIRROR, SO MY LEFT HAND IS ACTUALLY MY RIGHT AND VISE VERSA.

How to Film Fisheye!

Hello and welcome. I’ve been telling myself I’m going to make one of these for a solid year and haven’t really gotten around to it until now. But, here it is. I’m going to teach you the basic techniques of how to film fisheye on stair sets and in lines.

We are going to start with the number one thing; TURN STEADY SHOT OFF. If you forget this, no matter how good the line is and no matter how perfect the filming is, it sucks and isn’t usable. Do not forget this, seriously. I am begging you.

Alright, so it’s off? First step is complete. Now, I’m going to show you how to hold your camera for LINE FILMING. The technique is different for stair sets.

First, the diagram for handycam filmers (If you have a handle, see “Hi-End Filmers Diagram”):

Outline of Diagram:

1. Fingers tucked under the strap slightly with right hand running towards back of the camera.
    2. Left hand held loosely under the camera for stabilization as well as freedom of movement if the skater should turn during the line. Note that I DO NOT use an LCD. If you prefer to use an LCD during filming, just slide your hand under the bottom of the camera and out of the way.

Now, the diagram for Hi-End Filmers:

Outline of Diagram:

1. Right hand curled under the handle with thumb put into the hot shoe. (This is just something I find comfortable)
    2. Left hand cradled underneath the camera. My camera doesn’t even have an LCD.

Line filming is all about staying focused. You will begin to feel a lot more comfortable with it the more you do it. Remember to push sparingly as this will cause shakes, but make sure to push enough so that the skater does not get too far away.

Q: But wait? How am I supposed to know whether or not I am cutting a head off or not?
    A: Believe me, after you practice filming lines for a while you WILL learn the horizontal/vertical width of your fisheye and will know if you are cutting a head off. I recommend sizing a person up by opening your LCD if you have one and attempting to get as close as possible while still keeping their entire body + skateboard in frame then replicating this while filming as well as possible.

Also, cutting a head isn’t necessarily the end of the world. If you are very close to the board and you cut a head, it may even look good.

Q: How should I stand on my skateboard? Should I hold the camera at my hip? How should I position my legs and arms? (Same for both Hi-End cameras and handycams)
    A: First things first, build a filming board. I (along with everyone else) do not want to hear your flatspots while you are filming. Get some nice gel wheels and a big board that you can cruise along smoothly with.

Secondly, HOW you stand while you film is completely personal preference.
    I personally prefer to stand something like this. This is also the recommended height for the camera as well as arm and leg positions:

Q: I find myself framing the skater on the side of the frame like this, how can I fix this? EXAMPLE
    A: This actually may seem like a simple fix, but it really isn’t. Watch videos and you will notice this problem more and more. In fact, I had this problem for well over 6 months before I truly figured out what I was doing.
    The answer is still simple, but it’s not as noticeable. If this is happening to you, you are losing focus. You are looking up from your camera and watching the skater to see if he lands his tricks. Instead, alternate your head from camera to skater, making sure you are focusing him directly in the center of the frame.

Q: How do I stop when I am filming a line?
    A: Simple really, put your foot down and scrape it along the surface. Friction will you slow you down gently.

Q: Should I stop at the ledge when filming a line or continue to roll past?

A: This is preference as well, but I prefer to do both. Mix it up and give your videos some variety. I will demonstrate both in the video at the end.

As for lines, this is truly about it. Any more questions feel free to ask in the thread, but I believe the rest is actually practicing these.

PART TWO: STAIRSETS

Alright, so get ready to forget everything you know about fisheye stairsets because no one on this site does it correctly.

Again, we will start with a hand positioning diagram (Same for both handycams and Hi-End):

Diagram Explained:
    1. Hands on both sides of the camera parallel to each other.
    2. Thumbs curved up top and resting on camera.

Now, I’m sure everyone has heard the term “Rule of Thirds,” but have never been given a true explanation of what it is in fisheye filming. This is truly the NUMBER ONE thing you must do when filming a fisheye stairset.

Rule of thirds is essentially this…

Skater starts in 1 side of the frame:

The skater crosses over the center of the plane after he pops:

As the skater rolls away, he is on the opposite side of the frame as where he started:

This is a great thing to study, this is a double angle shot my friend Erik and I did. You can see in the clip exactly how to position yourself along with the correct body movements.

http://vimeo.com/5401608

Notice how he begins with the camera directed downward and as the skater approaches he moves the camera upward to keep him in frame. As the skater begins to move toward the left side of the frame, he moves the camera back to a downward pointing position.

Position 1 (Down)
    Position 2 (Up)
    Position 3 (Down)

Q: Should I start at the top or bottom of the stairset/gap?
    A: It depends, 90% of the time I think the top looks best, but on a stairset that is longer than tall it may look best to me closer towards the bottom.

Q: I just thought of a shot where I don’t think rule of thirds applies!
    A: If it’s creative, hey try it. But try to use the rule of thirds as much as possible.

Q: Should I ever pan out while filming fisheye?
    A: Nope, and be very careful with your pan ins as well if you ever decide to do one.

Once you feel more comfortable with fisheye, you can begin to get more creative. For example, rolling on single tricks. Running instead of rolling on short lines as well.

Now, I feel I have described it well enough. Here is a video demonstrating nearly every technique I mentioned in this guide.
    Last edited by Robbie B; 06-30-2009 at 10:21 PM.

angry, young & beautiful

i will be using this soon. fanx
    any relationship that matters - a friendship, a family, a romance, a band - anything - is a perilous and fragile thing because along with all the amazing experiences and creations that can come from something so intimate and exhausting comes the possibility for things to crumble and shatter or whither and die. when that happens, it's easy to forget what was precious amidst all the disaster. we should always carry our history with us but never let it bury us.

i call for a sticky.

Yeah I just stickied it.

Retired Staff

Good guide man, I'd give ya rep if i could.

Great guide. I knew most of this stuff but it is a help.

Props.
    Quote Originally Posted by Panda View Post
    YOU KNOW WHAT! SIG THIS! *pulls down pants* *runs away laughing*

Damn, good guide man

Excellent guide man

good guide
    but i think everyone should have their own way of filming, like keep to the basics, but tweak it ya know?
    "Im not just a nigga, Im a punk rock nigga so i aint got nottin to lose" -(həd) P.E.

legit:
    preston951 (sold me cam handle)

Quote Originally Posted by homi3skate View Post
    good guide
    but i think everyone should have their own way of filming, like keep to the basics, but tweak it ya know?
    I'm pretty sure I said personal preference in this a couple times. :-P

eh i was skimming
    i honestly prefer the trial and error way instead of handbook way though
    "Im not just a nigga, Im a punk rock nigga so i aint got nottin to lose" -(həd) P.E.

legit:

It's better to learn how to do something and practice it than just go for it.
    Last edited by Robbie B; 06-28-2011 at 02:00 PM.

Beautiful Loser

That's sick man. I've been trying to work on my filming recently and I had figured out most of it already, but I did learn a few complementary things from this. What I need to get my head around now is how manual settings work, I know about white balance and this type of things but since it's summer here and the light is almost always perfect at daytime, I'm too lazy to figure them out practially yet and always use the auto mode (which is a shame I guess). I guess I have to check skateperception more often.

Something I think you should add too is that you should never zoom in with a fisheye... I hate it when people do that, it looks so horrid.

with a real fisheye you cant zoom haha
    only kenkos/alltheother.43x's can be zoomed through

legit:

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie B View Post
    Yeah I just stickied it.
    Stickying your own post? That's not against the rules? lol.
    This deserves to be stickied anyhow.

thanks robbiexzzxzxxz

psn=Stusiano

thanks dude thats a real sick guide

Gnar Shreddage!

TANX FOAR DA GYDE BUT HOW EVUR U 4GOT 2 INCLUED WUT UR SPOSD 2 DO WEN DA BORD HITZ UR CAMCAM PLZ ELAOBRTE ON TAT SUBJET

tanx agin
    Quote Originally Posted by MRCK View Post
    STG is the punch of real life through your cyber teeth

angry, young & beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by MattxLustt View Post
    Stickying your own post? That's not against the rules? lol.
    This deserves to be stickied anyhow.
    he's a mod and it's a guide you ******.
    any relationship that matters - a friendship, a family, a romance, a band - anything - is a perilous and fragile thing because along with all the amazing experiences and creations that can come from something so intimate and exhausting comes the possibility for things to crumble and shatter or whither and die. when that happens, it's easy to forget what was precious amidst all the disaster. we should always carry our history with us but never let it bury us.

This will help me when i get my cam so thanks!
    [QUOTE=phlap;1419350]When life gives you lemons... make lemonade.

So basically you should have squeezed out all his blood and sold it .[/QUOTE]
    [QUOTE=jesushadherpes;221180]today some trippy old homeless man in front of barnes and noble talked to me for a while about his days as a "pyschonaut" after he saw i had bought a book detailing the history and use of LSD. it was pretty intresting homless people are entertaining[/QUOTE]
    R.I.P.
    [QUOTE=MRCK;1215257]'Skate more, bone less'[/QUOTE]