Finally, some skateboard content!
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Finally, some skateboard content!

  1. #1
    Skate Pirate
    rockst*r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wearing socks on my elbows
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,431

    Default Finally, some skateboard content!

    Going back about 2 summers ago, I bought a Decomposed freestyle deck. I'm not a heavy skater, and I don't abuse my boards at all, so it's not weird for me to have a deck lasting the span of years. But, I bought some Shake Junt griptape for it, because I liked the pretty green sparkles. Fast forward to today, doing some garage cleanup and getting ready for winter, and I noticed that the griptape was peeling up off of the board. The adhesive had gone, and the griptape itself seemed to stiffen up, unable to conform to the curves anymore.

    What gives? Does Shake Junt make Shake Junk griptape?

  2. #2
    Word.
    Caleb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Age
    25
    Posts
    2,803

    Default

    Yeah it's not great, it's been known to dissolve under colder conditions, I remember colder winter days here in ohio the grip would literally peel off the sides of my board when I flicked it with my shoe. Mob M-80 is probably the best I've ever had

  3. #3
    Retired Staff

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Age
    45
    Posts
    2,731

    Default

    I've never had problems with Mob. My little freestyle grip tape hack is to put Mob on the front and back thirds of my boards with Black Magic sole saver on the middle third which is the sweet spot for Walk the dogs so I still have some grip but enough slickness for the pivot.
    "Before diagnosing yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by assholes," William Gibson

    I'm trying to be more Zen. What is the sound of me not giving a fuck?

    C/S,
    Rev J

  4. #4
    Skate Pirate
    rockst*r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wearing socks on my elbows
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
    Yeah it's not great, it's been known to dissolve under colder conditions, I remember colder winter days here in ohio the grip would literally peel off the sides of my board when I flicked it with my shoe. Mob M-80 is probably the best I've ever had
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev J View Post
    I've never had problems with Mob. My little freestyle grip tape hack is to put Mob on the front and back thirds of my boards with Black Magic sole saver on the middle third which is the sweet spot for Walk the dogs so I still have some grip but enough slickness for the pivot.
    Is it worth regripping a board, or just taking the L and turning it into a wallhanger?

    I mean, I'll elaborate: I used to skate in the snow. I've skated in the wet and the cold, and the worst that I've seen thus far was some Black Diamond griptape that rubbed off and got smooth on the edges after a rain skate session in 2007 or something (also the session that I discovered that certain, very specific wheels get grippier in the rain and wet). I've never seen griptape do this before!

  5. #5
    Caveman
    Neanderthal1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Left Coast, USA
    Posts
    237

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rockst*r View Post
    Is it worth regripping a board, or just taking the L and turning it into a wallhanger?
    I think that depends on how much you like riding your old board. I'd vote to re-grip because that works for riding or turning your board into a wall hanger. Besides re-gripping a board is easy as long as you can get the hardware out. A summer day or a heat gun comes in handy though.
    Gnarwheels skate site: http://gnarwheels.proboards.com/

  6. #6
    Skate Pirate
    rockst*r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wearing socks on my elbows
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal1 View Post
    I think that depends on how much you like riding your old board. I'd vote to re-grip because that works for riding or turning your board into a wall hanger. Besides re-gripping a board is easy as long as you can get the hardware out. A summer day or a heat gun comes in handy though.
    I'm not madly in love with the shape, though I know I don't need to ask Teh Intarnetz's opinion on buying a new board (the answer is always an enthusiastic "yes"). I'm just baffled by the griptape trying to escape the board.

  7. #7
    Gravity Slave Moderator
    NoSwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Bull City
    Posts
    10,871

    Default

    I've had three decks where the grip lost the adhesive over the past 10 years. No specific brand, and all stored indoors. I just used shoe goo to glue it back down. Not ideal, lumpy, but don't really care enough to remove the trucks and regrip it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •