Thread: Post your random thought.

God

Murica'

We may not know what skateboarding is
    But we sure as hell know what it aint
    Wait we know what it is now too -
    Falling down and gettin back up

Gravity Slave Moderator

Being a cop has to be one of the worst jobs on the planet. Everyone you deal with all day long is pissed off about something.. either they just got violated somehow. or they're being accused of committing a crime. I'm all for cutting them a little slack in the heat of the moment when shit's getting crazy...

However.. you don't get to open fire on someone who sees you pointing M-16s at them and is already driving away while scared shitless. If they turn around and come back at you... fire away. Running away from people with M16s isn't a capital offense and you're not judge and executioner.

Lady in MN who said she thought she had her taser... horribly incompetent.. but not necessarily cold blooded murder like what happened above. I'd like to hear the AUDIO from their body cams while they were rolling up there getting ready to arrest that guy... I'd especially like to hear the audio... what they were saying and talking about after they realized they'd killed him and he was unarmed..

Global Moderator

Tours should be coming back end of summer. We've got a huge one booked for September/October. I am so fucking ready to be allowed to have my goddamn life back.

Caveman

Noswitch, I agree. Being a cop has to be a one of the toughest jobs out there with so much stress. I get pissed when I see some of the rules being put into place.... particularly "no chokehold" discussions. Most fights eventually wind up on the ground and they turns into grappling matches. At that point, it's a fight for your life... and anything goes. Eh... I shouldn't rant.

Shorty's_Kid: That's great news! I hope that you're calendar gets booked solid!

Covid is receding on the Left Coast. Ca is on track to open up in mid June. I'm looking forward to that!
    Gnarwheels skate site: http://gnarwheels.proboards.com/

Caveman

What the heck?
    Please ignore. There was a glitch in the Matrix.

Gravity Slave Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal1 View Post
    Noswitch, I agree. Being a cop has to be a one of the toughest jobs out there with so much stress. I get pissed when I see some of the rules being put into place.... particularly "no chokehold" discussions. Most fights eventually wind up on the ground and they turns into grappling matches. At that point, it's a fight for your life... and anything goes. Eh... I shouldn't rant.
    That's a good point and I get that. One on one with no backup I agree anything goes at that point. However. when there are 4 plus cops there choking someone out is WAY over the <thin blue> line. Also, when the person is 20 feet away and fleeing, not turning to fight deadly force would be off the table as well.

Skate Pirate

Am I understanding correctly - the US/Mexico/Canada trade deal has restricted the amount of Canadian lumber coming into the United States, which has played a factor in the increased lumber pricing?

Gravity Slave Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by rockst*r View Post
    Am I understanding correctly - the US/Mexico/Canada trade deal has restricted the amount of Canadian lumber coming into the United States, which has played a factor in the increased lumber pricing?
    I thought they blamed the COVID border cross restrictions but that makes sense too

God

covid still a thing

Caveman

I haven't been following the trade agreements, but the US is about to double tariffs on Canadian lumber so there's that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Feelgood View Post
    covid still a thing
    Indeed, it is. I have co-workers and a couple of direct reports either in India or with family in India that are reporting losing family, friends, and neighbors at an astounding rate. It's really sad.

I remember when the covid quarantines were put in place in March 2020, everybody was asking, "Do you know anybody that got sick". In the first wave, it was friends of friends or relatives of friends. The people impacted were a several of degrees of separation away. It didn't seem all that real. Each successive waive brought the Rona 1 step closer. Then it finally started impacting people that I know... or read about... like NoSwitch's family. The Coronavirus is a beast that I'm not going to forget.

If this is a "manufactured crisis" as some would have you believe then the conspiracy is orchestrated to perfection.
    Last edited by Neanderthal1; 05-27-2021 at 05:58 PM.

Global Moderator

Finally going to be allowed to have my life back soon, fingers crossed.

Gravity Slave Moderator

Super stoked for you Trevor! Let me know when you get to an old folks friendly venue. Haven't been to a show at The Ritz or anyplace else where people have to stand for the whole show in 20 years. Last time at The Ritz was for Kenny Wayne Shepherd New Yeear's Day 2000.

Skate Pirate

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal1 View Post
    I haven't been following the trade agreements, but the US is about to double tariffs on Canadian lumber so there's that.

Indeed, it is. I have co-workers and a couple of direct reports either in India or with family in India that are reporting losing family, friends, and neighbors at an astounding rate. It's really sad.

I remember when the covid quarantines were put in place in March 2020, everybody was asking, "Do you know anybody that got sick". In the first wave, it was friends of friends or relatives of friends. The people impacted were a several of degrees of separation away. It didn't seem all that real. Each successive waive brought the Rona 1 step closer. Then it finally started impacting people that I know... or read about... like NoSwitch's family. The Coronavirus is a beast that I'm not going to forget.

If this is a "manufactured crisis" as some would have you believe then the conspiracy is orchestrated to perfection.
    Ah, let's see...2 cousins' fiancees, 1 aunt, and 1 uncle tested positive with mild to moderate symptoms. Uncle had a weird gastric response. The rest had severe flu-like symptoms. One of my college best friends was taken into examination in the hospital, but wasn't actually admitted...said his instincts kicked in and he felt like he was literally dying. Another friend tested positive, and is dealing with brain fog now 7 months later. My niece came down with a bacterial myocarditis, which is one of the ways that CoVid manifests itself in young bodies sometimes. While she never actually tested positive for CoVid, she hit the checklist of all the cardiac symptoms, and then when she was released from the hospital (after 4 months), she had the CoVid antibodies that come from an infection.

Gravity Slave Moderator

Ah, let's see...2 cousins' fiancees, 1 aunt, and 1 uncle tested positive with mild to moderate symptoms. Uncle had a weird gastric response. The rest had severe flu-like symptoms. One of my college best friends was taken into examination in the hospital, but wasn't actually admitted...said his instincts kicked in and he felt like he was literally dying. Another friend tested positive, and is dealing with brain fog now 7 months later. My niece came down with a bacterial myocarditis, which is one of the ways that CoVid manifests itself in young bodies sometimes. While she never actually tested positive for CoVid, she hit the checklist of all the cardiac symptoms, and then when she was released from the hospital (after 4 months), she had the CoVid antibodies that come from an infection.
    I had a scary episode yesterday while working. I'm wondering if it's COVID long term shit. I occasionally get migraine related aura stuff.. But. yesterday I had an episode like that where I was wondering if I was actually having a stroke. I stepped outside to corral the trash cans after the truck went by.. Bright sun.. When I came back inside it was weird because my eyes got all messed up like the corneas wouldn't refocus. It was like I stared at the sun and had bright blotchy vision impairment.. I couldn't read ANYTHING because everything was dancing around on the screen. Far sighted stuff mostly OK.. Made a couple calls, mind clear, talking fine, not slurring speech not dizzy or wobbly, no loss of feeling anywhere.. I told my wife something was wrong, told my older teen that I might need a ride to urgent care if it doesn't clear up... and "call 911 if you hear the thud of me hitting the floor". I managed to IM my manager to give her a head's up.. and I was extremely busy doing super important shit. crazy day. Anyway, it lasted about 15 minutes then cleared up like nothing. My migraines have definitely gotten worse and more frequent post COVID.. but seem to be slowing down some now being 6 months out from the actual event.

Global Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by NoSwitch View Post
    Super stoked for you Trevor! Let me know when you get to an old folks friendly venue. Haven't been to a show at The Ritz or anyplace else where people have to stand for the whole show in 20 years. Last time at The Ritz was for Kenny Wayne Shepherd New Yeear's Day 2000.
    hahaha I don't foresee fit for a king ever playing at a venue where you sit down! metal music sitting down is a weird vibe hahah

God

Stoked you get a taste of your old life back trevvy! hope your well my dude, all the best, miss ya !

Gravity Slave Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty's_Kid View Post
    hahaha I don't foresee fit for a king ever playing at a venue where you sit down! metal music sitting down is a weird vibe hahah
    I never foresaw any of the bands I saw in concert or shows I worked in my 20s as playing the community theater ever either LOL! Shit happens and your body quits cooperating with what the brain wants it to do especially when you turn 50. Going from 35 to 40 is twice as hard as going from 25 to 30 physically.. and going from 50 to 55 is TEN times harder than going from 35 to 40. It really does suck dude. I don't have the energy to do the same shit I did even 5 years ago. Now it's 2 hours and I'm done skiing, where gravity and chairlifts do all the work. More like 30 minutes of skating and I'm done. Standing for a 4 hour gig (assuming there's a good opening band too) is off the table now.

Global Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Feelgood View Post
    Stoked you get a taste of your old life back trevvy! hope your well my dude, all the best, miss ya !
    I'm trying and will be there eventually. Still working 60 hours weeks and shit for now. sucks but it'll end soon enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by NoSwitch View Post
    I never foresaw any of the bands I saw in concert or shows I worked in my 20s as playing the community theater ever either LOL! Shit happens and your body quits cooperating with what the brain wants it to do especially when you turn 50. Going from 35 to 40 is twice as hard as going from 25 to 30 physically.. and going from 50 to 55 is TEN times harder than going from 35 to 40. It really does suck dude. I don't have the energy to do the same shit I did even 5 years ago. Now it's 2 hours and I'm done skiing, where gravity and chairlifts do all the work. More like 30 minutes of skating and I'm done. Standing for a 4 hour gig (assuming there's a good opening band too) is off the table now.
    Gojira is still kicking and they're all mid 40's! Still playing huge shows headlining over young bands like Knocked Loose where you're not only gonna have to stand, but you're probably gonna get punched while you're standing there hahaha

I'm already on the same page as "Screw standing at a show for that long" though, I don't attend concerts on my own time, partly bc it just feels like I'm going to work but also because it honestly kinda sucks LOL. It's way more fun these days to be on the other side of the barricade :P If I am watching a performance of another band I'm either going to stand in the very back or somewhere around FOH, if I don't have access to side stage.

Gravity Slave Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty's_Kid View Post
    I'm trying and will be there eventually. Still working 60 hours weeks and shit for now. sucks but it'll end soon enough.

Gojira is still kicking and they're all mid 40's! Still playing huge shows headlining over young bands like Knocked Loose where you're not only gonna have to stand, but you're probably gonna get punched while you're standing there hahaha

I'm already on the same page as "Screw standing at a show for that long" though, I don't attend concerts on my own time, partly bc it just feels like I'm going to work but also because it honestly kinda sucks LOL. It's way more fun these days to be on the other side of the barricade :P If I am watching a performance of another band I'm either going to stand in the very back or somewhere around FOH, if I don't have access to side stage.
    I went to shows in my 40s where everyone was on their feet. It's mid 50s when you lose your ability to hang like that.. And FWIW the band only has to stand for about 90 minutes.. The time before the show, easily an hour getting in the venue and waiting for the first band.. then another 30 minutes or an hour between bands.. then the hour fining out of the venue and walking to your car.. That's easily 4-5 hours on your feet. The bands don't have to do that. Playing the gig in my 50s (or even 70s like many still do) is totally doable. You'll see when you get here. Venues without good seating at 50 plus fan base (regardless of how energetic the music is) won't be happening nearly as much..

How many people over age 50 have you worked with who didn't really need to sit down on their meal period break at those stand up on your feet retail and service Starbucks type jobs you've done off tour? I'd say probably pretty much all of them..

It's quite a rude awakening. Remember I did all those backpacking and hiking outings with the scout troop through my 40s and early 50s.. 10 miles a day, multi day hikes in the mountains carrying a 50-60 pound pack on my back at least once a month. I do know a couple dudes who can still do that at 60 but they are a rare breed. Most of us me included, can't do that anymore..
    Last edited by NoSwitch; 05-30-2021 at 09:57 AM.

Gravity Slave Moderator

OK reflecting on age and concerts situation just gave me some hilarious thoughts. I'm imagining how things would go down if The Sex Pistols, Daead Kennedys, Jim Carroll Band, Panterra (R.I.P. Darryll and Vinnie), etc.. if some band like that reunited, pulled together a lineup and went out on tour again. If they played a venue layout like the old CBGBs or clubs with a lot of open floor no doubt there would be a handful of super drunk geezers heading out to slam dance and several would end up in the hospital with broken hips Dentures all over the floor LOL!! HAHAHAHAHA! Enjoy it while you can Trevor.. that's your future in 20 years if you're still tryig to rock those types of venues.. or you'll be at least 20 years older than everyone else in the crew and audience.. Again, the band can still totally put on a show for an hour or two with a sit down acoustic session break. That's why they do that, to rest LOL. But ya, I'm just telling it like it is for folks when the 50s arrive like a mack truck.. or steamroller. Your bad knee, bad foot, every injury you ever had that slowed you down for a few weeks back in the day comes back to hurt like hell all the time after an hour of reasonably tame activity. I have a bad thumb that now prevents me from holding a drumstick properly for more than 30 minutes of jamming, sometimes jams up after a few minutes.. Surgery might help, not covered by insurance though because it's not impacting my ability to do my day job..